Wed, 12 September 2012
Category:general -- posted at: 9:54pm CST
Mon, 10 September 2012
The Dude is rasping his way through a recap of a crazy week in football and taking a peek at what is to come. Can his voice hold out? Can he pick some winners? Will his liver survive? Tune in this week to find out the answers to these and other burning questions as the Dude Presents!
Thu, 6 September 2012
Here are our complete picks for NFL week 1. I left in my twitter pick of the Giants and the over. Truth and honesty and all that. I hate picking the NFC East inter division match ups, but no where to go but up. So anyways, on with football!
Category:general -- posted at: 8:23am CST
Mon, 3 September 2012
The Dude is back and he's running down all the weekend's action and taking a peak and what is too come. Listen up and be ready for the games this weekend!
Mon, 27 August 2012
10. The Pirates have been stinking it up in the last week or so. At this point, .500 is my goal. I don’t ask for much in life! And by the way, you’re welcome Cards.
9. Football is almost here and I’m looking forward to Northwestern games this fall. Ok, mostly the tailgate, but the football is good too!
8. The Seahawks have decided to name the rookie Russell Wilson the starter, cut TO, and trade Tavaris Jackson to Buffalo. Quite a busy week in Seattle. Now they just need Marshawn Lynch to get a DUI and everything will be complete.
7. So Tavaris Jackson goes to the Bills. That’s just what they need to break their string of losing seasons. Was Tyler Palko unavailable?
6. Roger Clemens is coming back! This just goes to show you what clean living will get you, or something like that.
5. I’m heading to Milwaukee this weekend to see the poor old Buccos take on the Brew Crew. If Milwaukee had nothing else going for it, it would still be great in my book just thanks to their beer battered fried cheese curds!
4. So Lance Armstrong finally gets busted, or something like that. I wonder if he’d give his left nut to clear his name. Too soon?
3. Japan wins the LLWS, beating Tennessee in the final. The last time a Japanese athlete beat someone from Tennessee this bad, it was Togo Yamamoto beating up Jerry Lawler.
2. On Friday night, I went to see AAW Wrestling. Wrestling, cheap beer, and even some boobs. It was quite a successful night!
1. The Doctor and Dude’s NFL special is up now at www.doctoranddude.com or iTunes. Get it now and you’ll be all set for the season to start. We break down every team and make our picks for who’s going to come out on top. Here’s a spoiler: I like the Steelers to win it all!
This is the last Top 10 for a while. Next week the Dude Presents is back with early lines and a recap of the first weekend of the football season. Check it out and spread the word!
Category:general -- posted at: 9:51am CST
Mon, 20 August 2012
10. This weekend I took a trip to Blacksburg, VA, home of the Hokies, to do a little football scouting (and attend a wedding). It’s definitely beautiful country down there, but it’s a little quiet and out of the way. Maybe one day they can learn how to burn couches and become a real football town.
9. Melky Cabrera isn't helping his cause. He should just be like the Hulkster and train hard, say his prayers, and take his vitamins. Then again, maybe some of the Hulkster’s vitamins might have resulted in the same test results.
8. Last week Expendables 2 opened up to bring the world the ass kicking we so desperately need in these trying times. I’m glad that someone took the time to go out and quantify who is the most bad ass. Sadly, they couldn’t have an eleven way tie for first.
7. Speaking of couch burners earlier, WVU will destroy you!
6. A running back who can't cut? How could that go wrong? Might be a real long year up in Minnesota.
5. With King Felix making it three perfect games this season, you have to wonder what’s going on in the big leagues. Are big time pitchers so good now that they can’t be stopped? Or maybe Phil Humber just played the game of his life? I’m going with the latter. Don’t expect another one for a decade or so.
4. Is Kevin Kolb scared or just a bum? I’m voting for both!
3. Fantasy football draft season is upon us. I’ve got the first pick in my main league this year and I have no idea who to take. The best running backs aren’t as dominate as in the past, quarterbacks are easier to find later, and it’s too early to take Calvin Johnson. I may just take the Steelers’ defense and not have to worry about that part of the game for the rest of the season!
2. Speaking of the NFL, this weekend the Doctor and Dude are recording our big NFL preview! Tell your friends and get excited, because this one is going to be great!
1. So I get on the plane yesterday to come home and the Pirates are tied in St. Louis in the 13th. I land and turn on my phone to find out if they won and it’s now the 18th. I’m glad I wasn’t watching because my heart couldn’t take it! Pedro hits a bomb in the 19th and Cutch brings in the security runs and the Pirates win 6-3 in 19. Last year, we lost this game on a bad call to Atlanta and the season quickly spun out of control. I’m hoping that this year, winning this game will help catapult the Bucs to a strong finish to a great year. It’s a great time to be a Pirates fan, and after two straight decades of losing there aren’t that many of us left!
Category:general -- posted at: 10:16am CST
Mon, 13 August 2012
10. If you’re looking for a little late summer gambling reading, check out this book about Titanic Thompson. This guy crammed in enough for a couple of lives. Very colorful stuff.
9. Well Andrew Luck, you’ve got nowhere to go but down now!
8. After months of whining and complaining, Dwight Howard finally gets traded. It’s just a matter of days before he starts complaining again and looking for his next trade.
7. Chad Johnson is truly living Hard Knocks. Maybe the Jets are looking for a new washed up wide receiver with a record.
5. So you’re a Heisman Trophy candidate on a national title contender and you manage to get kicked off of the team. I’m not sure what Tyrann Mathieu did, but it must have been really bad for Les Miles to give him the boot!
3. Stephen Strasburg is getting shut down soon. Either this works out and the Nationals are geniuses or this goes down as one of the worst decisions ever.
2. Dream Team wins the gold, but Spain puts up a heck of a fight. If this doesn’t put the comparisons to the real, original Dream Team to bed, I don’t know what it will take.
1. The Olympics are now over, so we can wait another four years to care about all these sports again. See you in Rio, synchronized diving!
Category:general -- posted at: 9:23am CST
Mon, 6 August 2012
10. Usain Bolt wins the 100 at the Olympics and shows he’s still the fastest man in the world. If Al Davis was still alive, he’d be a first round pick!
9. Ryan Lochte went toe to toe with Michael Phelps, but the real story is that he pees in the pool. Good to see that deep down, we’re all the same and that I could contend with an Olympian after an afternoon of drinking beer.
8. The NFL Hall of Fame inducted a class that may have been short on sizzle, but delivered on substance. And of course, it’s always good to see a couple of Steelers going in, especially Dermonti Dawson, a man who truly deserved it.
7. I always enjoy seeing the Buccos beat up on the Cubs at Wrigley, but getting to see a one hitter was even better. I was on the edge of my seat hoping for a no no, but it was still great. AJ Burnett, removed from the New York pressure, has shown that he can be a legit ace. The Pirates are going to need that down the stretch!
6. I’ve heard the one about the one legged man in the ass kicking contest, but now there is a one armed man in the ass kicking contest and he’s looking good. This dude is a legit bad ass.
5. Watch any of the Olympics? If so, you probably hate NBC, since everyone seems to be hating on their coverage. Luckily, I’ve managed to avoid almost all of them so far. I’m holding out to see Mary Lou Retton perform.
4. The Dream Team was supposed to steam roll everyone in the Olympics, but Lithuania sure gave them a scare the other day. Unless Lebron grows another six inches, I suspect they may not be totally out of the woods yet.
3. Love him or hate him, Michael Phelps winning his 18th gold is pretty impressive. Now that his Olympic career is over, I look forward to seeing him cleaning the local pool any day now.
2. The NFL preseason is here! Of course, I don’t care about the preseason as long as no one gets hurt, but at least we know that the real stuff is almost here!
1. The Pirates dropped 2 out of 3 to the Reds this weekend in Cincinnati. The NL Central may be close to decided, but at least we could confirm what a bad ass Andrew McCutchen is!
Have a great week everybody and talk to you Wednesday night!
Category:general -- posted at: 6:45pm CST
Mon, 30 July 2012
10. I spent Sunday night watching Dragon Gate USA tear up the Congress Theater. You won’t find much better wrestling out there than DGUSA, even if you did have to pay ball park prices for beer!
9. So if this is going on, why isn't pro wrestling in the Olympics? It’s all rigged! My only question for Olympic pro wrestling would be who the masked guys from Parts Unknown will represent.
8. Training camp has started for the NFL, and not a minute too soon. If these guys were out of camp for another week, half the league would be in the police blotter.
7. The new Dream Team wins, but not by enough to impress America. If we don’t see our boys crushing the world by at least 50 points, it might as well be a loss. Thank god we’ve all forgotten those teams that didn’t even medal a few years back.
6. Ryan Lochte beat Michael Phelps. I see this one shaping up for a Rocky III ending, and we all know how that ends. It’s just sad that Mickey has to die again.
5. I’m all for women being empowered. Be proud, ladies!
4. Fantasy football is coming up soon. Is it just me, or did this jump the shark about five years ago? I just hope I can get Eddie George in my draft.
3. Zach Greinke heads to the Angels to heat the AL West race up further. With Josh Hamilton’s issues, this may be the most interesting race in baseball down the stretch. Sorry Yankees!
2. Red Sox take 2 out of 3 from the Yankees to hit .500 and still sit in the cellar. The Orioles and Blue Jays must wish that they were in the AL Central every day they look at the standings.
1. Will the Reds ever lose again? With the way they're playing, I’m starting to have my doubts. Maybe Dusty Baker finally figured out how to manage a team that doesn’t choke. Of course, he may just let them choke on a bigger stage this fall.
Category:general -- posted at: 11:45am CST
Sun, 22 July 2012
10. Silas Young retains his belt in controversial manner at AAW this weekend. That's all fine and good, but I'm ready for dollar beers again next month!
9. Bradley Wiggins wins the Tour de France, the first Brit to win in 75 years. He should enjoy for the week or two before he's stripped for doping!
8. The Tigers sweep the White Sox this weekend, right before I go to the game on Monday to see the Sox and Twins. I think that the Sox are lulling the rest of the AL Central into a false sense of security. Or they just suck. I'm hoping it's the former.
7. The NFL off season plows on with more arrests. I suspect that Goddell is ready for these boys to get to camp. Once they're there, he can fine them for being out past curfew as well as DUI!
6. Ron Santo, along with Barry Larkin, were inducted into the baseball Hall of Fame this weekend. Cubs fans better enjoy it. It's probably the only winning the Cubbies have in them for the next century.
5. We all need goals. Mine is to one day have a Steeler's hair sweater. Until then, this guy wins.
4. Are you ready for some football! I know I am, even if it's Canadian. I can't wait to see that 110 yard touchdown play!
3. The Reds can't lose and the Pirates are keeping pace. Could a wild card come out of the NL Central? Sure, but I bet it's the Cards. If anyone can screw it up, in Dusty we trust!
2. Ernie Els won the British Open after Adam Scott had a melt down for the ages. It's like Scott styled his play after the Ravens. Yeah, he'll find a way to lose. God I'm ready for football.
1. No death penalty for Penn State, but a big bomb either way. This one is going to hurt in Happy Valley and college football won't feel the same again for a while.
Category:general -- posted at: 10:55pm CST