Mon, 18 June 2012
10. The Yankees are rolling and the odds makers are getting on them, making them favorites with the Rangers to win it all after they sweep the Nationals to make it nine straight. Nine straight is good and all, but have the Nationals really come so far that it’s an accomplishment for the Yankees to sweep them? It’s not like they swept the Bucs!
9. Kirk Gibson also missed the birth of a couple of his kids. As he said, “It’s not like they did anything that somebody else hasn’t already done.”
8. LaDainian Tomlinson retires and fantasy football now officially feels old for me. Ah, the good times we had, LT. As long as Peyton is still throwing to Marvin Harrison, right?
7. Tiger managed to fall apart at the US Open this weekened. I think that he was really disappointed that he missed out on this tournament.
6. Dale Earnhardt Jr has been a big name NASCAR driver for an awfully long time. I bet it makes his sponsors feel a lot better when he wins a race every three or four years though.
5. Silly me, I thought that roughing up the ref was only acceptable in pro wrestling. Seeing blood on the tennis whites might make me actually interested. On second thought, nah.
4. Euro 2012 has certainly been exciting for the soccer watching world, but did you know it helped the host countries become better places too? You too can help the Ukraine with its alcoholic bear problem!
3. Red Sox/Cubs at Wrigley Field on a beautiful weekend. A few years ago, this ticket was going for many times face value. Now they’re both cellar dwellers and most people don’t care. Considering these two teams storied for not being storied histories, isn’t this really more like it should be?
2. The Heat took a 2-1 lead over the Thunder on Sunday night to make game four look like a must win for the Thunder. I wonder if David Stern will have to make a call down to the referee’s locker room to keep this thing fair (and seven games)?
1. The biggest story for me of this past week was the Pirates taking two out of three from the Indians. By taking the regular season series, they won me the tiebreaker in my best regular season record bet with my attorney. That whiskey is going to taste all the better if the Buccos can get to .500 for the season and break the streak. I’ve learned from Cubs fans that being long time losers doesn’t necessarily make you endearing, so I’m ready to win!
Category:general -- posted at: 10:17am CDT
Wed, 13 June 2012
This week on the Doctor and Dude Show the Dude is all by his lonesome again and he's taking a look at a potpurri of topics. He starts with Heat and Thunder in the NBA Finals and then ventures from golf to football to baseball to Japanese soccer, with a number of digressions and semi-offensive jokes along the way.
Mon, 11 June 2012
10. The world is in the grip of Euro 2012 fever. America has been able to resist the siren’s call so far, but how long before we’re all entranced by a 1-1 tie. Bet the draw!
9. The Indians are keeping the AL Central close with the Sox and with Detroit lurking, but I think the pressure may be getting to them!
8. The Yankees completed their sweep of the Mets this weekend with a walk off home run on Sunday. But keep your heads up Mets, it’s not like God is rooting against you or anything. Or is he?
7. I made my first trip to the Off Track Betting for the Belmont Stakes on Saturday. While I didn’t win anything (damn you Unstoppable U!), I did find a new place to quench my gambling jones legally. I better be careful though, because if I go there too much, I might end up having to clean out the stables for my dinner!
6. Throwing a no-hitter is a tall order for one pitcher, but for six it’s ridiculous. I bet that left handed specialist in the eighth was never so glad in his life to just face one man!
5. Don’t look now, but it’s June and my Buccos are tied for first place in the NL Central and getting a little national attention! I can almost taste the sweet, sweet success that a .500 season would be. A man can dream, can’t he?
4. This weekend I was doing a little reading online about one of the greatest professional wrestling and business rivalries ever and it got me wondering about why there isn’t a book about this? Instead we get more books about pouty vampires and kink for housewives. Why don’t they just read the letters to Penthouse like a young Dude did to learn all he needed to know about sex, kink or otherwise. That’s an education!
3. The Stanley Cup is still up for grabs as the Devils have held off elimination for another game. This begs the question, if a Cup falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
2. So Manny Pacquiao was robbed on Saturday night, I hear. Of course, if you listened to the show last week you knew to get on Bradley (even if my parley missed) since boxing is just about as rigged as wrestling or the NBA (see number 1). I hear that there may or may not be a rematch. Whoever put together this match obviously watched Rocky I and Rocky II before they wrote this out. I just hope that someone gets a robot maid/lover in part IV.
1. So after all of the gnashing of teeth, we finally get the Heat in the Finals to take on the Thunder. The media is now back in love with Lebron after he was able to finish off the Celtics, but the Finals are putting me in serious tin foil hat territory. So what if the Heat win and get coroneted as greatest team ever? How many people are going to want to tune in for the next half decade’s worth of “can anyone beat the Heat?” A much better story line? Can Lebron and Wade win the big one? Who will rise up to beat the Heat this year? Who is going to be America’s new darling by spoiling Lebron’s parade? The NBA wants to milk these finals for all they can and set up the story line for next season, so I’m taking the Thunder in seven.
Have a great week and tune into the Doctor and Dude Show on Wednesday night, when I’ll be presenting solo! Talk to you then.
Category:general -- posted at: 9:13am CDT
Wed, 6 June 2012
As the Kings continue to dominate the Stanley Cup playoffs, the boys take some time to congratulate them on their amazing run. Also on the agenda is plenty of discussion about the NBA Conference Finals - are we looking at a Celtics/Thunder Finals? Plus the Dude takes a look at two beloved sports of yesteryear: horse racing and boxing!
Mon, 4 June 2012
10. Saturday I got to watch a classic American League match up as the White Sox hosted the Mariners and both teams tried to use as many pitchers as humanly possible. Robin Ventura took it upon himself to make me appreciate Ozzie's bullpen management as he wasted his arms in the 6th and they lost in the 12th. Ugly, ugly stuff, but at least this series gave us this.
9. The Detroit Grand Prix was cancelled due to pot holes. What else can I even say?
8. I think Floyd Mayweather has this figured out. After three months in jail training, he should be ready to take on Manny Pacquiao. I suspect he may learn some techniques that aren't in the Marquis de Queensbury's rules.
7. Now that the Mets have a no hitter in their history, maybe they can finally become the big thing in Queens again and retake that crown from the Jerky Boys.
6. Despite losing an ugly one on Saturday, the White Sox are continuing to put space between them and the Indians. Combine that with the Pirates continuing to win and it's looking like my attorney may finally have to pay me for once in our bet!
5. Dragon Gate is coming back to Chicago in July! I'm going to go ahead and start getting worked up for that now. I suspect that I'll be handicapping that one in month or so!
4. The Celtics have fought their way back into the series with the Heat after an overtime thriller in game four that even saw Lebron foul out. If that happens again, don’t be surprised if David Stern comes down on the court and decides to officiate the rest of the series himself!
3. Tiger Woods finally won another golf tournament. She may not even know it yet, but I bet some Waffle House waitress is in for the time of her life in the next few days.
2. The Thunder have come thundering back against the Spurs. So much for streaking all the way to the finals. I suspect that the Spurs have some game left in them though, and probably a Werther's Original in their pocket.
1. The Kings keep rolling, taking the first two games of the Stanley Cup finals in New Jersey. Things are starting to look dire for the Devils, and not just because they live in New Jersey.
Have a great week, everyone!
Category:general -- posted at: 8:28am CDT
Wed, 30 May 2012
This week the Doc has taken off for the great white north and the Dude is all by his lonesome for an episode of the Dude Presents! He's running down the playoffs in the NBA and NHL, baseball, the NFL, and Miss America! Get it all this week on the Doctor and Dude Show.
Mon, 28 May 2012
10. Long time Doctor and Dude favorite, Chris Jericho got himself into a little hot water over the weekend. Note to self, don't desecrate another country's flag in front of its people. Sometimes they don't that that lightly!
9. NFL win totals are out now. It's almost time to start plugging the numbers into the Dude computer and coming up with predicted records. By that, I mean get a pin and some paper, a twelve pack, and start predicting Ravens losses.
8. If you had laid money on the Devils and Kings facing off in the Stanley Cup Finals a couple of months ago, you would have to buy me lots of beers because you'd be the richest person I know.
7. The Cubs traveled to Pittsburgh this weekend, which is great for me. I get to watch them on TV at the bar and antagonize the Cubs fans when they find ways to lose. Like a walk off hit by pitch on Saturday. Yeah, only the Cubs could manage that!
6. James Harrison is cool with Justin Beiber. If you have a problem with that, you can tell him. I'm going to just nod along and slowly back out of the room.
5. Dario Franchitti wins the Indy 500. Ten year old me is appalled that current me didn't bother watch any of this. I just wanted to see how Al Unser Jr. did.
4. The Celtics have a formadible task in taking on the Heat in the Eastern conference finals. However, with Iron Sheik on their side, you can't count them out! Make them humble!
3. Spurs beat the Thunder in game one in the best possible way for me. They take the lead in the series, which I like them in; go just under the total; and give up a meaningless three at the buzzer to not cover. I love it when a plan comes together!
2. Pirates sweep the Cubs. Sox sweep the Tribe. My attorney is getting nervous about our bet since I have the Pirates +6 games!
1. Happy Memorial Day! Enjoy the holiday and remember the reason for it as you celebrate today. Thank you to all who have served!
Remember that the Dude is on his own this week, so please send in questions for the show!
Category:general -- posted at: 10:44am CDT
Thu, 24 May 2012
With the NBA season finished for the Lakers and Clippers, the boys take at look at what the future holds for both teams. Plus a preview of the San Antonio/Oklahoma City matchup.
Mon, 21 May 2012
10. The Rangers are up 2-1 on the Devils in the Eastern Conference finals for the Stanley Cup. The New York/New Jersey area must be buzzing while the Islanders silently weep into their pillows and write poems of heartbreak in their pink diaries every night.
9. Verlander one hit the Pirates on Friday night after they got a hit in the ninth to break up the no-no. As someone told me this weekend, they can’t even get no hit right. Remarkably though, they haven’t been no hit in over 40 years. At this point in Bucco history, that’s something to brag about, despite the fact that they flirt with it every two weeks or so.
8. The Celtics and 76ers are knotted up at 2 games each. I keep waiting for someone to remind the 76ers that they suck. Maybe someone needs to go a little Celtic Pride on Andre Iguodala.
7. As I suspected, the Heat aren’t going to go down without a fight. For a super team, they sure seem to be missing something, but when Lebron and Wade decide to play, they are nearly impossible to beat. This doesn’t help, but when you need more motivation, there is only one place to go.
6. The White Sox swept the Cubs at Wrigley. Are the Sox for real? Probably not, but the Cubs really do suck. Thank god someone will be there to fight it out with the Buccos for last place in September!
5. Now that Scott Van Slyke hit his first big league homer for the Dodgers, my throwback Andy Van Slyke Pirates jersey is going to confuse even more people at the ball park this summer.
4. I’ll Have Another has a shot at the Triple Crown, which hasn’t been claimed in 34 years. The racing triple crown is up there with the most prestigious triple crowns in sports, baseball, bridge, and most revered of all, the All Japan Pro Wrestling Triple Crown Heavyweight Championship.
3. The Kings finally lose one, but are still up 3-1 on the Coyotes. I fully expect riots one way or the other after the playoffs wrap up in LA. They care as much about hockey there as they do in Vancouver, don’t they?
2. The Spurs just keep performing. The Clippers have a bright future, but Tim Duncan and company shook their fists at the whippersnappers and told them to get off of their lawn in the second round.
1. Folks in West Virginia are awfully excited to head to the Big 12. I was told that WVU’s five year plan is to beat Oklahoma and Texas, win the Big 12, win the national title, and then move to the NFL. That’s what drinking moonshine will do to you!
Category:general -- posted at: 10:02am CDT
Wed, 16 May 2012
There's a lot of drama surrounding the Miami/Indiana series, and the boys are covering it from every angle. Who does the Dude like in Game 3? The answer may surprise you. Plus, the Doc talks about his Boston trip and the Dude discusses the finer points of gambling on the business world.