Wed, 26 December 2012
With 2012 coming to a close, the Doctor and Dude look back on the most surprising football teams of the year - for good AND for ill. Plus, the boys disagree about a critical NFC North showdown and make more bowl picks to ring in the New Year.
Direct download: Doctor_and_Dude_Show_12_26_12.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 4:10pm CDT
Wed, 19 December 2012
The boys haven't talked about the already overexposed Jets much this season, but with their latest meltdown wrecking any chance at the playoffs, the Doctor and Dude discuss where New York can go from here. Plus, the Dude responds to a little Steelers/Bengals trash talk fresh from the mailbag!
Direct download: Doctor_and_Dude_Show_12_19_12.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 10:12pm CDT
Wed, 19 December 2012
Category:general -- posted at: 9:31pm CDT
Wed, 12 December 2012
With a mere three weeks of NFL action to go, the boys discuss which teams will punch their playoff tickets the rest of the way. Plus the Dude give strategies for betting on bowls and mocks the NFL commisioner's rough weekend.
Direct download: Doctor_and_Dude_Show_12_12_12.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 10:23pm CDT
Wed, 12 December 2012
Category:general -- posted at: 9:51pm CDT
Wed, 5 December 2012
There's a lot of consensus on who will win the Heisman Race (hint: his last name is Football), but that won't stop the boys from gambling on it. Plus, the Dude tries to get rich making predictions about English royalty.
Direct download: Doctor_and_Dude_Show_12_5_12.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 10:20pm CDT
Wed, 5 December 2012
Category:general -- posted at: 9:39pm CDT
Wed, 28 November 2012
Category:general -- posted at: 10:12pm CDT
Wed, 28 November 2012
In the last week of college football's regular season, the boys talk Big 10, SEC, and even MAC football. Plus, who will earn the final wild card berth in the NFC?
Direct download: Doctor_and_Dude_Show_11_28_12.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 9:45pm CDT
Wed, 21 November 2012
Thanksgiving is a time to be thankful for everyone in the Doctor and Dude Nation that makes this show possible. It's also time to eat lots of food and gamble on sports! The boys examine upcoming lines for football, basketball, and the sweet science of boxing.
Direct download: Doctor_and_Dude_Show_11_21_12.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 10:59pm CDT
Wed, 14 November 2012
Quarterback injuries ran rampant through the NFL in week 10. While the Dude hopes for a quick recovery for Big Ben, the boys look at the future prospects of several teams. Plus, the Dude reaches out to fans in northern Europe with some gambling advice for Swedish hockey!
Direct download: Doctor_and_Dude_Show_11_14_12.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 10:40pm CDT
Wed, 14 November 2012
Category:general -- posted at: 9:49pm CDT
Thu, 8 November 2012
Category:general -- posted at: 9:11am CDT
Wed, 7 November 2012
With an ugly matchup looming between the Cowboys and Eagles this week, the boys discuss the future of several NFL coaches. Have the players quit on the season? Also, the Doc turns heel in college football while the Dude dreams of gambling on U.S. Presidency futures!
Direct download: D_and_D_11_7_12.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 9:17pm CDT
Wed, 31 October 2012
With the Doc finally back from his international travels, the boys are reunited to talk gambling on the NFL, college football, and even the start of the NBA season. Plus, a big congratulations to the San Francisco Giants!
Direct download: D_and_D_10_31.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 10:30pm CDT
Wed, 31 October 2012
Category:general -- posted at: 9:44pm CDT
Wed, 24 October 2012
The Dude is sad and lonesome with the Doc off exploring the far reaches of the Earth, but it can't stop him from talking plenty of football and picking a plethora of NFL and college games. Check it out and get 100% of your weekly Dude intake!
Direct download: D_and_D_10_24.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 9:54pm CDT
Wed, 17 October 2012
It's not the Dude Presents, but the Dude is all by his lonesome while the Doctor recoups from a bout of the dreaded aardvark flu. With plenty of time to ruminate, he talks the complete NFL slate for week 7, lots of great college answer, touches on the World Series, and breaks down Euroleague basketball. Download it now and be ready for all the action!
Direct download: D_and_D_10_17.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 9:51pm CDT
Mon, 15 October 2012
The Dude is back presenting, taking a look at the good (Green Bay), the bad (Pittsburgh), and the just plain ugly (looking at you Mountaineers!) of the past week and all the sweet, sweet action coming up this week. Tune in and be ready for a great weekend of football!
Direct download: D_and_D_10_15.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 8:16pm CDT
Wed, 10 October 2012
After a hard weekend of debauchery in Las Vegas, the boys are dragging a bit heading into the show. Fortunately they have plenty left in the tank to discuss football, the MLB playoffs, and Swedish hockey!
Direct download: DoctorandDude10_10.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 10:11pm CDT
Wed, 10 October 2012
Category:general -- posted at: 9:35pm CDT
Tue, 9 October 2012
The boys celebrate their annual pilgrimage to Vegas by inducting friend of the show Joe C into the Doctor and Dude Hall of Fame.
Direct download: joeHOFepisode.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 11:17am CDT
Wed, 3 October 2012
On the eve of the annual Doctor and Dude pilgrimage to Las Vegas, the boys talk NFL and NCAA football, baseball playoffs, and even a little German soccer. Will they go to the pay window this weekend? Stay tuned!
Direct download: DoctorandDude10_3.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 10:24pm CDT
Wed, 3 October 2012
Category:general -- posted at: 10:08pm CDT
Mon, 1 October 2012
The Dude has full blown Vegas fever as he breaks down the action for the upcoming week. He talks WVU/Baylor and video game stats, how the Steelers won in the bye week, and what the big college games for the upcoming week are. Check out this week's Dude Presents and get all the goodness!
Direct download: D_and_D_10_1.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 7:15pm CDT
Thu, 27 September 2012
Here's my full slate for this week. Despite the fact that the real refs are back, I'm sitting out betting this weekend while they get a game under their belts. No matter how much studying you do, coming in cold without a preseason is going to be tough. This whole slate is a stay away for me because of this. But if you're feeling brave, here you go!
Category:general -- posted at: 10:12am CDT
Wed, 26 September 2012
Another week, another series of bad calls in the NFL...it has the Dude pretty down on professional football right now. But the boys rally to give NFL and college football picks, while the Dude entertains us all with his vast knowledge on the WNBA. Go Spacers!
Direct download: DoctorandDude9_26.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 10:47pm CDT
Tue, 25 September 2012
I like wrestling. There was a time that I watched Monday Night Raw live every week. I would flip over to the game, but wrestling was my main focus. But then something happened. WWE decided to treat their fans like idiots. This didn’t happen once or twice, but over and over. After a while, I decided that I didn’t like to be treated like an idiot, so I stopped watching every Monday. Instead, I put Raw on the DVR. Now, I only watch if I hear something good is on the show or nothing else is going on. Most episodes get deleted before I ever watch them. I'm a fan, but not like I once was.
I like football too. Growing up, I would go to the high school games with my dad, who still attends to this day. We always watched or listened to the Mountaineers and the Steelers. I attended all the home games when I was in college. I have a season ticket for Northwestern, a team I have no allegiance to other than fandom of football (and a good tailgate). In the last decade, I’ve become an addict of the NFL like so many other people. I have to watch the Steelers and I usually watch at least a few other games a week. I watch on Sunday and Monday night and Thursday was becoming part of my routine. But something has happened along the way, starting a few years ago and increasing with some regularity. The NFL treats me like an idiot. They think I can’t see through their focus on “player safety.” They want me to believe a line of garbage about locking out the players. And now, they’ve thrown away the integrity of the game by locking out the men who already struggle to make order out of chaos in the officials. Over what? Pocket change for the NFL in terms of money. So what for then really? How about ego. Because they can. Because they know I’ll still tune in next week.
And they’re right. I’m not going to stop watching. Calling for a boycott is stupid because we can’t do it. We’re addicts and we’ll need our fix. We can’t stay away. But there is something I can do. I can watch my Steelers and then turn off the television. I can stay away from a night game that doesn’t feature any teams I care about. I can get a new hobby, do those chores around the house, or maybe just cut down on my bar tabs. I’m not going cold turkey, but I can cut back. I don’t want to be played for a chump anymore, so I can do something about it. Will it hurt the NFL? Of course not, but maybe if enough people go from three games a week to one, they may notice. Maybe Coors won’t be so eager to pour in the money for ads. Maybe ESPN, NBC, Fox, and CBS won’t be so afraid to anger their almighty boss in Roger Goodell. Maybe I’ll have a better life for it. College football is great and it’s on all the time. The Steelers games will still be fun to watch, but maybe some moderation is the key. Then I won’t feel like a fool for giving so much to a league that doesn’t care about me or any of its fans. Then I won’t feel like such a chump for letting the NFL call me an idiot over and over and me doing nothing about it. I think I’ll start this week. No betting on a league that isn’t on the level. No spending my whole day on Sunday watching football and drinking beer. I think it’s time for NFL fans like me to reclaim our self respect. Roger Goodell and the NFL owners, you’re not going to call me a fool anymore. Even an idiot like me can smarten up after a while.
Category:general -- posted at: 9:36am CDT
Mon, 24 September 2012
The Dude is back to take a look at a crazy weekend of football and some good action coming up this weekend. He manages to not talk officiating too much while breaking down the early lines of a colorful slate for the coming week. Check out the Dude Presents and let the fun begin!
Direct download: D_and_D_9_24.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 9:43pm CDT
Thu, 20 September 2012
Category:general -- posted at: 9:07am CDT
Wed, 19 September 2012
After an incredible week of picks, the Doctor and Dude contend with a much tougher card in week three of the NFL. The boys also discuss USC's fall from grace and the big Michigan/Notre Dame matchup - SPOILER ALERT: The Dude is not a fan of the Fighting Irish.
Direct download: DoctorandDude9_19.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 10:35pm CDT
Mon, 17 September 2012
The Dude is still riding high from watching the Steelers beat up on the Jets this week as he recaps his weekend and the NFL and NCAA action. He takes a look at all the action to come this week and gets you set for the weekend that seems way too far away right now. Check it out now!
Direct download: D_and_D_9_17.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 9:33pm CDT
Thu, 13 September 2012
While the Dude tries to recover from a crazy weekend of sports, the boys review last weekend's action and look forward to potential plays in the NFL and college football ranks. Plus, the Dude tries to find value in the Champion's Tour: Golf for the Older Gentleman.
Direct download: DoctorandDude9_12.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 12:30am CDT
Wed, 12 September 2012
Category:general -- posted at: 9:54pm CDT
Mon, 10 September 2012
The Dude is rasping his way through a recap of a crazy week in football and taking a peek at what is to come. Can his voice hold out? Can he pick some winners? Will his liver survive? Tune in this week to find out the answers to these and other burning questions as the Dude Presents!
Direct download: D_and_D_9_10.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 11:43pm CDT
Thu, 6 September 2012
Here are our complete picks for NFL week 1. I left in my twitter pick of the Giants and the over. Truth and honesty and all that. I hate picking the NFC East inter division match ups, but no where to go but up. So anyways, on with football!
Category:general -- posted at: 8:23am CDT
Wed, 5 September 2012
The NFL season has begun, and the Doctor and Dude cover it top to bottom with their favorite bets against the spread, points totals, survivor picks, and more. Plus there's plenty of time left to cover college football, and the Dude covers one of his favorite topics: combat sports!
Direct download: DoctorandDude9_5.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 10:23pm CDT
Mon, 3 September 2012
The Dude is back and he's running down all the weekend's action and taking a peak and what is too come. Listen up and be ready for the games this weekend!
Direct download: D_and_D_9_3.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 11:05pm CDT
Wed, 29 August 2012
Actual games. Actual lines. Football is finally here and the boys couldn't be more happy about it. In this episode, they cover Alabama v. Michingan, Clemson v. Auburn, and many more games from the week 1 slate.
Direct download: DoctorandDude8_29.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 10:04pm CDT
Mon, 27 August 2012
10. The Pirates have been stinking it up in the last week or so. At this point, .500 is my goal. I don’t ask for much in life! And by the way, you’re welcome Cards.
9. Football is almost here and I’m looking forward to Northwestern games this fall. Ok, mostly the tailgate, but the football is good too!
8. The Seahawks have decided to name the rookie Russell Wilson the starter, cut TO, and trade Tavaris Jackson to Buffalo. Quite a busy week in Seattle. Now they just need Marshawn Lynch to get a DUI and everything will be complete.
7. So Tavaris Jackson goes to the Bills. That’s just what they need to break their string of losing seasons. Was Tyler Palko unavailable?
6. Roger Clemens is coming back! This just goes to show you what clean living will get you, or something like that.
5. I’m heading to Milwaukee this weekend to see the poor old Buccos take on the Brew Crew. If Milwaukee had nothing else going for it, it would still be great in my book just thanks to their beer battered fried cheese curds!
4. So Lance Armstrong finally gets busted, or something like that. I wonder if he’d give his left nut to clear his name. Too soon?
3. Japan wins the LLWS, beating Tennessee in the final. The last time a Japanese athlete beat someone from Tennessee this bad, it was Togo Yamamoto beating up Jerry Lawler.
2. On Friday night, I went to see AAW Wrestling. Wrestling, cheap beer, and even some boobs. It was quite a successful night!
1. The Doctor and Dude’s NFL special is up now at www.doctoranddude.com or iTunes. Get it now and you’ll be all set for the season to start. We break down every team and make our picks for who’s going to come out on top. Here’s a spoiler: I like the Steelers to win it all!
This is the last Top 10 for a while. Next week the Dude Presents is back with early lines and a recap of the first weekend of the football season. Check it out and spread the word!
Category:general -- posted at: 9:51am CDT
Sun, 26 August 2012
The NFL is finally back, and the Doctor and Dude provide an exhaustive preview to meet your gambling needs as the season approaches. The boys cover every win totals for every team, and the Dude gives his picks for which teams will make the playoffs.
Direct download: DoctorandDudeNFLspecial.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 11:53pm CDT
Wed, 22 August 2012
Our final week of college football previews features the Big East, as well as several notable teams from non-BCS conferences. Also, the Doctor is dubious of rookie QBs in the NFL while the Dude breaks down a new season of Dancing with the Stars.
Direct download: DoctorandDude8_22.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 11:22pm CDT
Mon, 20 August 2012
10. This weekend I took a trip to Blacksburg, VA, home of the Hokies, to do a little football scouting (and attend a wedding). It’s definitely beautiful country down there, but it’s a little quiet and out of the way. Maybe one day they can learn how to burn couches and become a real football town.
9. Melky Cabrera isn't helping his cause. He should just be like the Hulkster and train hard, say his prayers, and take his vitamins. Then again, maybe some of the Hulkster’s vitamins might have resulted in the same test results.
8. Last week Expendables 2 opened up to bring the world the ass kicking we so desperately need in these trying times. I’m glad that someone took the time to go out and quantify who is the most bad ass. Sadly, they couldn’t have an eleven way tie for first.
7. Speaking of couch burners earlier, WVU will destroy you!
6. A running back who can't cut? How could that go wrong? Might be a real long year up in Minnesota.
5. With King Felix making it three perfect games this season, you have to wonder what’s going on in the big leagues. Are big time pitchers so good now that they can’t be stopped? Or maybe Phil Humber just played the game of his life? I’m going with the latter. Don’t expect another one for a decade or so.
4. Is Kevin Kolb scared or just a bum? I’m voting for both!
3. Fantasy football draft season is upon us. I’ve got the first pick in my main league this year and I have no idea who to take. The best running backs aren’t as dominate as in the past, quarterbacks are easier to find later, and it’s too early to take Calvin Johnson. I may just take the Steelers’ defense and not have to worry about that part of the game for the rest of the season!
2. Speaking of the NFL, this weekend the Doctor and Dude are recording our big NFL preview! Tell your friends and get excited, because this one is going to be great!
1. So I get on the plane yesterday to come home and the Pirates are tied in St. Louis in the 13th. I land and turn on my phone to find out if they won and it’s now the 18th. I’m glad I wasn’t watching because my heart couldn’t take it! Pedro hits a bomb in the 19th and Cutch brings in the security runs and the Pirates win 6-3 in 19. Last year, we lost this game on a bad call to Atlanta and the season quickly spun out of control. I’m hoping that this year, winning this game will help catapult the Bucs to a strong finish to a great year. It’s a great time to be a Pirates fan, and after two straight decades of losing there aren’t that many of us left!
Category:general -- posted at: 10:16am CDT
Wed, 15 August 2012
Football is so close, the boys can practically taste it. This week the Doctor and Dude break down the Big 10 conference, discuss the predictive value of the preseason, and even get a dose of football from our neighbor to the North!
Direct download: DoctorandDude8_15.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 10:20pm CDT
Mon, 13 August 2012
10. If you’re looking for a little late summer gambling reading, check out this book about Titanic Thompson. This guy crammed in enough for a couple of lives. Very colorful stuff.
9. Well Andrew Luck, you’ve got nowhere to go but down now!
8. After months of whining and complaining, Dwight Howard finally gets traded. It’s just a matter of days before he starts complaining again and looking for his next trade.
7. Chad Johnson is truly living Hard Knocks. Maybe the Jets are looking for a new washed up wide receiver with a record.
6. Remind me to never pass out a Phillie’s game.
5. So you’re a Heisman Trophy candidate on a national title contender and you manage to get kicked off of the team. I’m not sure what Tyrann Mathieu did, but it must have been really bad for Les Miles to give him the boot!
4. Tiger doesn't win and this sums it all up.
3. Stephen Strasburg is getting shut down soon. Either this works out and the Nationals are geniuses or this goes down as one of the worst decisions ever.
2. Dream Team wins the gold, but Spain puts up a heck of a fight. If this doesn’t put the comparisons to the real, original Dream Team to bed, I don’t know what it will take.
1. The Olympics are now over, so we can wait another four years to care about all these sports again. See you in Rio, synchronized diving!
Category:general -- posted at: 9:23am CDT
Wed, 8 August 2012
The 2012 college football preview rolls on with a look at the Big 12. Will Oklahoma contend for the title? Will Texas get back to their dominant form? And how will the newcomers West Virginia and TCU do? The boys explore these questions and more this week.
Direct download: DoctorandDude8_8.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 11:09pm CDT
Mon, 6 August 2012
10. Usain Bolt wins the 100 at the Olympics and shows he’s still the fastest man in the world. If Al Davis was still alive, he’d be a first round pick!
9. Ryan Lochte went toe to toe with Michael Phelps, but the real story is that he pees in the pool. Good to see that deep down, we’re all the same and that I could contend with an Olympian after an afternoon of drinking beer.
8. The NFL Hall of Fame inducted a class that may have been short on sizzle, but delivered on substance. And of course, it’s always good to see a couple of Steelers going in, especially Dermonti Dawson, a man who truly deserved it.
7. I always enjoy seeing the Buccos beat up on the Cubs at Wrigley, but getting to see a one hitter was even better. I was on the edge of my seat hoping for a no no, but it was still great. AJ Burnett, removed from the New York pressure, has shown that he can be a legit ace. The Pirates are going to need that down the stretch!
6. I’ve heard the one about the one legged man in the ass kicking contest, but now there is a one armed man in the ass kicking contest and he’s looking good. This dude is a legit bad ass.
5. Watch any of the Olympics? If so, you probably hate NBC, since everyone seems to be hating on their coverage. Luckily, I’ve managed to avoid almost all of them so far. I’m holding out to see Mary Lou Retton perform.
4. The Dream Team was supposed to steam roll everyone in the Olympics, but Lithuania sure gave them a scare the other day. Unless Lebron grows another six inches, I suspect they may not be totally out of the woods yet.
3. Love him or hate him, Michael Phelps winning his 18th gold is pretty impressive. Now that his Olympic career is over, I look forward to seeing him cleaning the local pool any day now.
2. The NFL preseason is here! Of course, I don’t care about the preseason as long as no one gets hurt, but at least we know that the real stuff is almost here!
1. The Pirates dropped 2 out of 3 to the Reds this weekend in Cincinnati. The NL Central may be close to decided, but at least we could confirm what a bad ass Andrew McCutchen is!
Have a great week everybody and talk to you Wednesday night!
Category:general -- posted at: 6:45pm CDT
Wed, 1 August 2012
The Doctor and Dude welcome special guest SEC Rachel to break down - what else? - the SEC football futures. Also, the boys dig into the mailbag and forecast the coming season for the San Francisco 49ers. Not surprisingly, they disagree about how the Niners will fare in 2012.
Direct download: DoctorandDude8_1.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 11:31pm CDT
Mon, 30 July 2012
10. I spent Sunday night watching Dragon Gate USA tear up the Congress Theater. You won’t find much better wrestling out there than DGUSA, even if you did have to pay ball park prices for beer!
9. So if this is going on, why isn't pro wrestling in the Olympics? It’s all rigged! My only question for Olympic pro wrestling would be who the masked guys from Parts Unknown will represent.
8. Training camp has started for the NFL, and not a minute too soon. If these guys were out of camp for another week, half the league would be in the police blotter.
7. The new Dream Team wins, but not by enough to impress America. If we don’t see our boys crushing the world by at least 50 points, it might as well be a loss. Thank god we’ve all forgotten those teams that didn’t even medal a few years back.
6. Ryan Lochte beat Michael Phelps. I see this one shaping up for a Rocky III ending, and we all know how that ends. It’s just sad that Mickey has to die again.
5. I’m all for women being empowered. Be proud, ladies!
4. Fantasy football is coming up soon. Is it just me, or did this jump the shark about five years ago? I just hope I can get Eddie George in my draft.
3. Zach Greinke heads to the Angels to heat the AL West race up further. With Josh Hamilton’s issues, this may be the most interesting race in baseball down the stretch. Sorry Yankees!
2. Red Sox take 2 out of 3 from the Yankees to hit .500 and still sit in the cellar. The Orioles and Blue Jays must wish that they were in the AL Central every day they look at the standings.
1. Will the Reds ever lose again? With the way they're playing, I’m starting to have my doubts. Maybe Dusty Baker finally figured out how to manage a team that doesn’t choke. Of course, he may just let them choke on a bigger stage this fall.
Category:general -- posted at: 11:45am CDT
Wed, 25 July 2012
The college football preview continues with the Pac12. Is it a two team race or will another team rise to challenge Oregon and USC? Plus, the Dude celebrates the opening of the Olympic Games the only way he knows how: crazy prop bets!
Direct download: DoctorandDude7_25.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 10:13pm CDT
Sun, 22 July 2012
10. Silas Young retains his belt in controversial manner at AAW this weekend. That's all fine and good, but I'm ready for dollar beers again next month!
9. Bradley Wiggins wins the Tour de France, the first Brit to win in 75 years. He should enjoy for the week or two before he's stripped for doping!
8. The Tigers sweep the White Sox this weekend, right before I go to the game on Monday to see the Sox and Twins. I think that the Sox are lulling the rest of the AL Central into a false sense of security. Or they just suck. I'm hoping it's the former.
7. The NFL off season plows on with more arrests. I suspect that Goddell is ready for these boys to get to camp. Once they're there, he can fine them for being out past curfew as well as DUI!
6. Ron Santo, along with Barry Larkin, were inducted into the baseball Hall of Fame this weekend. Cubs fans better enjoy it. It's probably the only winning the Cubbies have in them for the next century.
5. We all need goals. Mine is to one day have a Steeler's hair sweater. Until then, this guy wins.
4. Are you ready for some football! I know I am, even if it's Canadian. I can't wait to see that 110 yard touchdown play!
3. The Reds can't lose and the Pirates are keeping pace. Could a wild card come out of the NL Central? Sure, but I bet it's the Cards. If anyone can screw it up, in Dusty we trust!
2. Ernie Els won the British Open after Adam Scott had a melt down for the ages. It's like Scott styled his play after the Ravens. Yeah, he'll find a way to lose. God I'm ready for football.
1. No death penalty for Penn State, but a big bomb either way. This one is going to hurt in Happy Valley and college football won't feel the same again for a while.
Category:general -- posted at: 10:55pm CDT
Wed, 18 July 2012
With football only a couple short months away, the boys start their college football preview with the ACC. Is Florida State a title contender? Can Virginia Tech get to double digit wins? How much does the Dude hate Duke? All these questions and more will be covered this week.
Direct download: DoctorandDude7_17.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 10:15pm CDT
Mon, 16 July 2012
10. If you’re looking for something to read on the beach this summer, check out Frank Deford’s new memoir, Over Time. Deford is a veteran sports writer and he has stories and nuggets that will entertain any sports fan. His tales of covering the early years of the NBA really give modern sports perspective. Very highly recommended.
9. It’s good to see that after a hundred plus years, the rules of baseball still seem to elude the guys who are in charge of keeping them.
8. Olympic boxing can be a riveting and exciting sport. Olympic foxy boxing could be riveting and exciting as well, but in its own way. I can’t wait for the gold medal match between Tawnie and Dream!
7. Drama and the Knicks? I’m shocked! Between Jeremy Lin’s contract offer, Melo’s opinion on it, and Jason Kidd introducing himself to the New York faithful with a DUI, sounds like a typical week at the Garden. Now they just need to bring Isaiah Thomas back.
6. If you’re like me, you’re ready to never hear about Penn State again. For that reason, I whole heartedly endorse Drew Magary’s five point plan for Penn State football. "Penn Tech: Molester-Free Since 2013."
5. The Pirates started the 2nd half of the baseball season dropping 2 out of 3 in Milwaukee. This isn’t news in the least. In fact, winning a game in Milwaukee is probably a sign that things really are moving in the right direction!
4. Last night, John Cena was the big winner at the WWE’s Money in the Bank show. I think I’ll give MMA another shot once they introduce ladder matches to the octagon.
3. Oh Jay, I would expect nothing less. When it comes to being a NFL heel, you’re up there with the best of them!
2. The NL won the All Star Game last week and headed into the break thinking that they have a chance against the AL once the World Series rolls around. If I was an NL contender, I’d be rooting as hard as possible for the Rangers. Ron Washington can always find a way to lose to the NL when it counts.
1. Dear sweet God, football is almost back! I’m just going to keep counting down the days and you can tune into the Doctor and Dude Show this week as we start our college football preview. We’ll be breaking down one conference this week and I’ll give you a hint. The Doctor and I both have a huge rooting interest in this one. Talk to you Wednesday and have a great week!
Category:general -- posted at: 9:00am CDT
Wed, 11 July 2012
With the All Star break come and gone, the boys break down MLB second half divisional futures and try to sort through NBA trade rumors. Plus, the Dude prognosticates about Justin Bieber's future love life.
Direct download: DoctorandDude7_11.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 10:13pm CDT
Mon, 9 July 2012
10. After some concern due a awfully big guy showing up, I was able to successfully defend my big splash title on the 4th of July, keeping my clean sweep of the 21st century going. This is one case where going with the chalk is like taking candy from a baby!
9. Roger Federer won Wimbledon for a record tying seventh time. Some commentators refer to him as the Dude of tennis, but he has some more winning to do to be in my category!
8. It wouldn’t be the off season of the NFL without some players behaving badly, but Adrian Peterson getting arrested has serious implications as fantasy season approaches!
7. The Celtics feel betrayed that Ray Allen took his talents to South Beach. The Nets feel optimistic with Deron Williams signing on and Dwight Howard in their sites. The Knicks are excited about Jason Kidd. And the rest of us are looking forward to football being back so we can go back to ignoring the NBA until the playoffs roll around again!
6. For well over a decade now, my old pal and fellow long suffering Pirates fan Henry and I have joked about young pitching that would come and save us from our ineptitude. Reading this article makes me unsure whether to laugh or cry.
5. A new Dream Team, led by Lebron, to bring the gold home? Is it possible for Americans to root against their own country? Probably not, but Lebron won’t make this easy!
4. Anderson Silva beat Chael Sonnen on Saturday night in the big UFC grudge match. I heard many people talking about the great hype and promos that built up the match. Whether they want to admit it or not, this type of thing already has a name. It’s pro wrestling!
3. Being in the great state of West by god Virginia this past week meant I heard a lot of talk about the Greenbrier Classic. Even Tiger Woods showed up to play golf in WV. The cocktails waitresses of the state hadn’t been this excited since Bill Clinton’s last trip through.
2. I got to see the Pirates in person on Thursday night as they continued their hot streak and beat the Astros on a brutally hot night. The Iron City was on tap though and I was able to power through. If the Bucs can just keep this up for another two and a half months, I’ll be able to celebrate the end of the worst streak in sports and the beer will really flow!
1. As we reach the All Star break, the Yankees and Rangers look like the class of the AL, but the NL is pretty topsy turvy. Could this be the year that we see the Pirates and Nationals both in the playoffs? Will the top of the AL continue to run roughshod? I don’t know the answers to these questions, but I know if I keep picking underdogs in our twitter baseball contest like I have been, I’ll be going to the pay window in the second half and that will put a smile on my face!
Category:general -- posted at: 9:01am CDT
Wed, 4 July 2012
On America's birthday, baseball guru Buckeye Bryan joins the boys to discuss his preseason totals picks and prognosticate about the second half. Plus, the Dude discusses his patriotic spirit and gives a shout out to our neighbor's to the north in honor of Canada Day!
Direct download: DoctorandDude7_4.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 2:24pm CDT
Mon, 2 July 2012
10. Happy 4th of July to all the American members of the Doctor and Dude Nation! I recommend watching this video on a loop to get ready for the day.
9. And happy Canada Day to all our Canadian friends. For you, I recommend watching the greatest event to ever happen on Canadian soil.
8. So the NFL is going to soften their black out policy. That's great news for fans in Cincinnati and Buffalo. I wouldn't want to have to pay to see those teams either.
7. Wednesday is the Nathan's Hot Dog eating contest. What is more all American than a celebration of gluttony! Now if it was a beer drinking contest, I might have to throw my hat in the ring.
6. The Pirates took two out of three from the Cardinals this weekend to stay right in the hunt for the NL Central. Of course, at this time last year they were in the same spot and ended up dying at the end. I don't know if my heart can handle that again, so get it done Bucs! Also, make sure you're following our twitter this week (@doctoranddude) to see pictures from my trip to see the Pirates in Pittsburgh.
5. Maria Sharapova was the top seed at Wimbledon but got bounced from the tourney. I hope she knows that my offer to provide a shoulder to cry on is still good. Or a back rub. Or a front rub.
4. Spain stomped Italy to win Euro 2012. Next time I order a pizza, I'm going to have to throw in some taunting about Italy's shortcomings. I'm sure the Latin American gentleman who makes the pizza in the back will be deeply offended.
3. Dwight Howard is asking to get traded again. At this point, I think the Flint Tropics would be a good destination for him.
2. In case you needed another reason to be nervous about the coming robo-pocalypse, now robots are cheating at rock, paper, scissors. Is nothing sacred?
1. MLB announced the All Star rosters and it looks like quite an event. With each team having 50 guys on the roster, I hope we don't have to worry about running out of pitchers again!
Category:general -- posted at: 11:49am CDT
Wed, 27 June 2012
With the White Sox making a big move to shore up their offense, the boys take the opportunity to break down potential second half action in the AL Central. Plus, a college football sneak peek, Tour de France, and betting on hot dog consumption...delicious!
Direct download: DoctorandDude6_27.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 10:01pm CDT
Mon, 25 June 2012
10. Kevin Steen retained his ROH Title against Davey Richards. I suspect that Davey’s match on Friday (see #4) may have made the difference. It’s these kinds of little insights that can give you the edge when you’re betting pro wrestling like me!
9. Red Sox trade Kevin Youkillis to White Sox. With a potential big league bat at third, could this be the charge that the Sox needs? Some Red Sox faithful aren’t happy about losing Youkillis, but they’re going to be really unhappy when they see Brent Lillibridge!
8. 52 marathons in 52 weeks. As an occasional jogger, the idea of running 26.2 miles over the course of weeks wears me out, let alone once a week for a year. I hope her carb loading involves lots of beer like me.
7. UFC on Friday night featured one guy running away from another for the entire five rounds. I think that this sport has officially jumped the shark. They better watch out for pro wrestling, the real sport of true men!
6. A Chinese man tried to watch all of Euro 2012 and ended up dying after 11 straight days of no sleep and too much coffee and nicotine. I’ll have to bring this up to my mother to let her know how far from death I really was a child watching wrestling on the couch for hours and hours. I could have gone for days!
5. The Mets new mascot is Little Jerry Seinfeld. Of course he is, because this is the Mets we’re talking about.
4. AAW put on a heck of a show on Friday night. The main event six man saw mayhem all over the building, especially right in front of us which was awesome, but Sami Callahan vs. Davey Richards really stole the show. This was one of the best matches I’ve seen live this year and that isn’t just the cheap beer talking!
3. The Pirates are five games over .500 and one out of first (and two better than Cleveland). I’m trying to stay calm, but it’s getting harder and harder. Now if we can just be in this spot in September, I’m officially going to lose it!
2. Italy sent England home from Euro 2012 on penalty kicks. My craving for pizza was truly a sign! Score one for science at the pay window.
1. The Heat win. Great. Now we have the Yankees of the NBA and David Stern wins in the end.
Category:general -- posted at: 9:48am CDT
Wed, 20 June 2012
With the NBA playoffs winding down, the boys turn their attention to new gambling opportunities across the pond in the Euro Cup. Plus a pair of Red hot baseball teams in "buying and selling" and Dude's Lines takes a look at upcoming AAW Pro Wrestling!
Direct download: DoctorandDude6_20.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 10:08pm CDT
Mon, 18 June 2012
10. The Yankees are rolling and the odds makers are getting on them, making them favorites with the Rangers to win it all after they sweep the Nationals to make it nine straight. Nine straight is good and all, but have the Nationals really come so far that it’s an accomplishment for the Yankees to sweep them? It’s not like they swept the Bucs!
9. Kirk Gibson also missed the birth of a couple of his kids. As he said, “It’s not like they did anything that somebody else hasn’t already done.”
8. LaDainian Tomlinson retires and fantasy football now officially feels old for me. Ah, the good times we had, LT. As long as Peyton is still throwing to Marvin Harrison, right?
7. Tiger managed to fall apart at the US Open this weekened. I think that he was really disappointed that he missed out on this tournament.
6. Dale Earnhardt Jr has been a big name NASCAR driver for an awfully long time. I bet it makes his sponsors feel a lot better when he wins a race every three or four years though.
5. Silly me, I thought that roughing up the ref was only acceptable in pro wrestling. Seeing blood on the tennis whites might make me actually interested. On second thought, nah.
4. Euro 2012 has certainly been exciting for the soccer watching world, but did you know it helped the host countries become better places too? You too can help the Ukraine with its alcoholic bear problem!
3. Red Sox/Cubs at Wrigley Field on a beautiful weekend. A few years ago, this ticket was going for many times face value. Now they’re both cellar dwellers and most people don’t care. Considering these two teams storied for not being storied histories, isn’t this really more like it should be?
2. The Heat took a 2-1 lead over the Thunder on Sunday night to make game four look like a must win for the Thunder. I wonder if David Stern will have to make a call down to the referee’s locker room to keep this thing fair (and seven games)?
1. The biggest story for me of this past week was the Pirates taking two out of three from the Indians. By taking the regular season series, they won me the tiebreaker in my best regular season record bet with my attorney. That whiskey is going to taste all the better if the Buccos can get to .500 for the season and break the streak. I’ve learned from Cubs fans that being long time losers doesn’t necessarily make you endearing, so I’m ready to win!
Category:general -- posted at: 10:17am CDT
Wed, 13 June 2012
This week on the Doctor and Dude Show the Dude is all by his lonesome again and he's taking a look at a potpurri of topics. He starts with Heat and Thunder in the NBA Finals and then ventures from golf to football to baseball to Japanese soccer, with a number of digressions and semi-offensive jokes along the way.
Direct download: D_and_D_6_13.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 9:41pm CDT
Mon, 11 June 2012
10. The world is in the grip of Euro 2012 fever. America has been able to resist the siren’s call so far, but how long before we’re all entranced by a 1-1 tie. Bet the draw!
9. The Indians are keeping the AL Central close with the Sox and with Detroit lurking, but I think the pressure may be getting to them!
8. The Yankees completed their sweep of the Mets this weekend with a walk off home run on Sunday. But keep your heads up Mets, it’s not like God is rooting against you or anything. Or is he?
7. I made my first trip to the Off Track Betting for the Belmont Stakes on Saturday. While I didn’t win anything (damn you Unstoppable U!), I did find a new place to quench my gambling jones legally. I better be careful though, because if I go there too much, I might end up having to clean out the stables for my dinner!
6. Throwing a no-hitter is a tall order for one pitcher, but for six it’s ridiculous. I bet that left handed specialist in the eighth was never so glad in his life to just face one man!
5. Don’t look now, but it’s June and my Buccos are tied for first place in the NL Central and getting a little national attention! I can almost taste the sweet, sweet success that a .500 season would be. A man can dream, can’t he?
4. This weekend I was doing a little reading online about one of the greatest professional wrestling and business rivalries ever and it got me wondering about why there isn’t a book about this? Instead we get more books about pouty vampires and kink for housewives. Why don’t they just read the letters to Penthouse like a young Dude did to learn all he needed to know about sex, kink or otherwise. That’s an education!
3. The Stanley Cup is still up for grabs as the Devils have held off elimination for another game. This begs the question, if a Cup falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
2. So Manny Pacquiao was robbed on Saturday night, I hear. Of course, if you listened to the show last week you knew to get on Bradley (even if my parley missed) since boxing is just about as rigged as wrestling or the NBA (see number 1). I hear that there may or may not be a rematch. Whoever put together this match obviously watched Rocky I and Rocky II before they wrote this out. I just hope that someone gets a robot maid/lover in part IV.
1. So after all of the gnashing of teeth, we finally get the Heat in the Finals to take on the Thunder. The media is now back in love with Lebron after he was able to finish off the Celtics, but the Finals are putting me in serious tin foil hat territory. So what if the Heat win and get coroneted as greatest team ever? How many people are going to want to tune in for the next half decade’s worth of “can anyone beat the Heat?” A much better story line? Can Lebron and Wade win the big one? Who will rise up to beat the Heat this year? Who is going to be America’s new darling by spoiling Lebron’s parade? The NBA wants to milk these finals for all they can and set up the story line for next season, so I’m taking the Thunder in seven.
Have a great week and tune into the Doctor and Dude Show on Wednesday night, when I’ll be presenting solo! Talk to you then.
Category:general -- posted at: 9:13am CDT
Wed, 6 June 2012
As the Kings continue to dominate the Stanley Cup playoffs, the boys take some time to congratulate them on their amazing run. Also on the agenda is plenty of discussion about the NBA Conference Finals - are we looking at a Celtics/Thunder Finals? Plus the Dude takes a look at two beloved sports of yesteryear: horse racing and boxing!
Direct download: DoctorandDude6_6.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 11:12pm CDT
Mon, 4 June 2012
10. Saturday I got to watch a classic American League match up as the White Sox hosted the Mariners and both teams tried to use as many pitchers as humanly possible. Robin Ventura took it upon himself to make me appreciate Ozzie's bullpen management as he wasted his arms in the 6th and they lost in the 12th. Ugly, ugly stuff, but at least this series gave us this.
9. The Detroit Grand Prix was cancelled due to pot holes. What else can I even say?
8. I think Floyd Mayweather has this figured out. After three months in jail training, he should be ready to take on Manny Pacquiao. I suspect he may learn some techniques that aren't in the Marquis de Queensbury's rules.
7. Now that the Mets have a no hitter in their history, maybe they can finally become the big thing in Queens again and retake that crown from the Jerky Boys.
6. Despite losing an ugly one on Saturday, the White Sox are continuing to put space between them and the Indians. Combine that with the Pirates continuing to win and it's looking like my attorney may finally have to pay me for once in our bet!
5. Dragon Gate is coming back to Chicago in July! I'm going to go ahead and start getting worked up for that now. I suspect that I'll be handicapping that one in month or so!
4. The Celtics have fought their way back into the series with the Heat after an overtime thriller in game four that even saw Lebron foul out. If that happens again, don’t be surprised if David Stern comes down on the court and decides to officiate the rest of the series himself!
3. Tiger Woods finally won another golf tournament. She may not even know it yet, but I bet some Waffle House waitress is in for the time of her life in the next few days.
2. The Thunder have come thundering back against the Spurs. So much for streaking all the way to the finals. I suspect that the Spurs have some game left in them though, and probably a Werther's Original in their pocket.
1. The Kings keep rolling, taking the first two games of the Stanley Cup finals in New Jersey. Things are starting to look dire for the Devils, and not just because they live in New Jersey.
Have a great week, everyone!
Category:general -- posted at: 8:28am CDT
Wed, 30 May 2012
This week the Doc has taken off for the great white north and the Dude is all by his lonesome for an episode of the Dude Presents! He's running down the playoffs in the NBA and NHL, baseball, the NFL, and Miss America! Get it all this week on the Doctor and Dude Show.
Direct download: D_and_D_5_30_F.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 9:22pm CDT
Mon, 28 May 2012
10. Long time Doctor and Dude favorite, Chris Jericho got himself into a little hot water over the weekend. Note to self, don't desecrate another country's flag in front of its people. Sometimes they don't that that lightly!
9. NFL win totals are out now. It's almost time to start plugging the numbers into the Dude computer and coming up with predicted records. By that, I mean get a pin and some paper, a twelve pack, and start predicting Ravens losses.
8. If you had laid money on the Devils and Kings facing off in the Stanley Cup Finals a couple of months ago, you would have to buy me lots of beers because you'd be the richest person I know.
7. The Cubs traveled to Pittsburgh this weekend, which is great for me. I get to watch them on TV at the bar and antagonize the Cubs fans when they find ways to lose. Like a walk off hit by pitch on Saturday. Yeah, only the Cubs could manage that!
6. James Harrison is cool with Justin Beiber. If you have a problem with that, you can tell him. I'm going to just nod along and slowly back out of the room.
5. Dario Franchitti wins the Indy 500. Ten year old me is appalled that current me didn't bother watch any of this. I just wanted to see how Al Unser Jr. did.
4. The Celtics have a formadible task in taking on the Heat in the Eastern conference finals. However, with Iron Sheik on their side, you can't count them out! Make them humble!
3. Spurs beat the Thunder in game one in the best possible way for me. They take the lead in the series, which I like them in; go just under the total; and give up a meaningless three at the buzzer to not cover. I love it when a plan comes together!
2. Pirates sweep the Cubs. Sox sweep the Tribe. My attorney is getting nervous about our bet since I have the Pirates +6 games!
1. Happy Memorial Day! Enjoy the holiday and remember the reason for it as you celebrate today. Thank you to all who have served!
Remember that the Dude is on his own this week, so please send in questions for the show!
Category:general -- posted at: 10:44am CDT
Thu, 24 May 2012
With the NBA season finished for the Lakers and Clippers, the boys take at look at what the future holds for both teams. Plus a preview of the San Antonio/Oklahoma City matchup.
Direct download: DoctorandDude5_23.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 1:37am CDT
Mon, 21 May 2012
10. The Rangers are up 2-1 on the Devils in the Eastern Conference finals for the Stanley Cup. The New York/New Jersey area must be buzzing while the Islanders silently weep into their pillows and write poems of heartbreak in their pink diaries every night.
9. Verlander one hit the Pirates on Friday night after they got a hit in the ninth to break up the no-no. As someone told me this weekend, they can’t even get no hit right. Remarkably though, they haven’t been no hit in over 40 years. At this point in Bucco history, that’s something to brag about, despite the fact that they flirt with it every two weeks or so.
8. The Celtics and 76ers are knotted up at 2 games each. I keep waiting for someone to remind the 76ers that they suck. Maybe someone needs to go a little Celtic Pride on Andre Iguodala.
7. As I suspected, the Heat aren’t going to go down without a fight. For a super team, they sure seem to be missing something, but when Lebron and Wade decide to play, they are nearly impossible to beat. This doesn’t help, but when you need more motivation, there is only one place to go.
6. The White Sox swept the Cubs at Wrigley. Are the Sox for real? Probably not, but the Cubs really do suck. Thank god someone will be there to fight it out with the Buccos for last place in September!
5. Now that Scott Van Slyke hit his first big league homer for the Dodgers, my throwback Andy Van Slyke Pirates jersey is going to confuse even more people at the ball park this summer.
4. I’ll Have Another has a shot at the Triple Crown, which hasn’t been claimed in 34 years. The racing triple crown is up there with the most prestigious triple crowns in sports, baseball, bridge, and most revered of all, the All Japan Pro Wrestling Triple Crown Heavyweight Championship.
3. The Kings finally lose one, but are still up 3-1 on the Coyotes. I fully expect riots one way or the other after the playoffs wrap up in LA. They care as much about hockey there as they do in Vancouver, don’t they?
2. The Spurs just keep performing. The Clippers have a bright future, but Tim Duncan and company shook their fists at the whippersnappers and told them to get off of their lawn in the second round.
1. Folks in West Virginia are awfully excited to head to the Big 12. I was told that WVU’s five year plan is to beat Oklahoma and Texas, win the Big 12, win the national title, and then move to the NFL. That’s what drinking moonshine will do to you!
Category:general -- posted at: 10:02am CDT
Wed, 16 May 2012
There's a lot of drama surrounding the Miami/Indiana series, and the boys are covering it from every angle. Who does the Dude like in Game 3? The answer may surprise you. Plus, the Doc talks about his Boston trip and the Dude discusses the finer points of gambling on the business world.
Direct download: DoctorandDude5_16.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 10:02pm CDT
Mon, 14 May 2012
With spring in the air, let’s jump right into this week’s edition of the Dude’s Top Ten!
10. The Clippers finish off the Grizzlies in game 7. The very idea of the Clippers making the playoffs and winning a series just seems wrong to me. This is the Clippers we’re talking about. Didn’t they disturb a mummy’s tomb or something that put the curse on them to always stink?
9. Will Florida State end up bolting the ACC for greener pastures in the Big 12 or SEC? It seems like only a matter of time to me. Until they have a playoff and a handful of super conferences sucking up all the college football money, these changes aren’t finished. And then you could get away from the stink that is Duke too. That never hurts.
8. Lebron is the MVP again. While he may win a dozen of these, it won’t matter without a ring. Even if he does win it all this year, the refrain will be “who did he beat?” with Rose out. That’s the problem when you want all the superstars on your team. It wouldn’t have been the same if Bird and Magic or Jordan and Isaiah had decided to be on the same team.
7. Sometimes it’s good to know that I’m not the only one wearing a tin foil hat. We all know the NBA is as rigged as pro wrestling!
6. Hats off to Kevin Steen for winning the Ring of Honor title Saturday night. A few years ago, this would have been a really big deal for me, but ROH has managed to lose a lot of my interest in the last few years. After the Briscoes, who am I supposed to care about again?
5. Josh Hamilton is just killing it and Bryce Harper is just killing himself. There’s a lesson to be learned here, Doctor and Dude Nation. I’m not sure what it is, but I’m for it and for anything that can the Great Mutamentioned (and a linked picture) on a major website is a win in my book!
4. The White Sox continue to stagger along like most people expected. When they stink, they don’t do it half way. I’m going to the Cell tonight, so I hope Sunday’s implosion got it out of their system for a day or two. At least the beer will be cold!
3. The Kings are keeping this hot streak going. It’s hard to pick against a team that is doing everything right, but the Coyotes may have something to say about that. At this point, someone has to cool off, but that is a hard thing to predict.
2. I’m going to stay on the Rangers until someone can finish them off. They’re like Steven Segal, hard to kill!
1. Kobe and the Lakers take on the Thunder. Another interesting matchup in the west. Can Kobe continue to lead the Lakers to victory or will they go ahead and fire everybody now and put them out of their mystery?
Have a great week everybody!
Category:general -- posted at: 9:21am CDT
Wed, 9 May 2012
Plenty of surprises in the sports world to dissect this week, including the Bulls' lethargic performance against Philadelphia and the Los Angeles Kings becoming the new powerhouse of the NHL. Plus, the boys check in on the Dude's season long baseball wager with his attorney...how have the Pirates and Indians looked so far?
Direct download: DoctorandDude5_9.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 10:10pm CDT
Tue, 8 May 2012
Dude's Note: This is a rough version of a new weekly feature that we'll be rolling out in the coming weeks. Every Monday morning, the Dude will highlight ten things that have caught his eye or are on his radar for the week. Since this is my world, topics may vary, but expect to hear lots about sports, betting, wrestling, shenanigans, and probably some good old fashioned bathroom humor. Nothing but the finest here at the Doctor and Dude Show! And now, the top ten...
10. The Bulls limp towards the finish line. This must be punishment for no one bringing me a brownie sundae when I was watching the game on Sunday.
9. Overtime playoff hockey shows why the Stanley Cup playoffs are among the best in sports. I may just grow a playoff beard forever, ZZ Top style.
8. John Cena beats Brock Lesner. Sometimes I think that pro wrestling is almost as fixed as boxing.
7. The Spurs show why they are champions. They’ll be rested and ready for the second round. Still old, but well rested. Watch out, whippersnappers, and stay off of my lawn!
6. Hey, it’s not like this hasn’t happened in your work place. Usually I blame it on Carl in accounting. That guy reeks.
5. The Ginger Hammer will not stop until people quit questioning his authority!
4. If I was a 23 year old millionaire athlete, I would be doing the exact same thing. I’m not, and I still do very similar things.
3. Big Ben graduates college. Now it’s your turn to watch your backs in the restroom, grad school ladies.
2. Does this make Phoenix a hockey town now?
1. In 2012, I can go see an Accept cover band with Iron Maiden and AC/DC cover bands opening up for them. God bless America!
Category:general -- posted at: 1:07pm CDT
Wed, 2 May 2012
The Bulls are down a point guard and Chicago's title hopes suddenly look bleak. This week the Dude gives a report after watching them live (while not busy drinking in his luxury box) and breaks down the rest of the NBA playoff picture. Plus, grown men fighting and grown horses racing...what a time of year!
Direct download: DoctorandDude5_2.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 10:36pm CDT
Wed, 25 April 2012
Lots of talk about the LA this week, as the boys give some deserved respect to the Kings, look at the playoff chances for the Lakers, and decide whether they're buying or selling on a pair of LA baseball teams. Plus, the Dude teaches us all how to gamble on the NFL Draft!
Direct download: DoctorandDude4_25.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 10:06pm CDT
Wed, 18 April 2012
As the NHL playoffs continue, the boys check in on their series wagers, the Dude acknowledges some Penguins-related taunts from the D&D nation, and there have been some big shifts in the Stanley Cup futures market. Plus, some first hand baseball scouting from the Dude: is he buying or selling on the White Sox and Orioles?
Direct download: DoctorandDude4_18.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 10:03pm CDT
Wed, 11 April 2012
The NHL always delivers in the postseason, and so do the Doctor and Dude! They predict the outcome of each series, hit on some of the Dude's favorite NHL playoff prop bets, and cover a host of other sports as well. Plus, Ozzie Guillen loves Castro...what???
Direct download: DoctorandDude4_11.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 11:27pm CDT
Wed, 4 April 2012
The Dude recaps his journey to Miami for Wrestlemania, Ring of Honor, and Dragon's Gate action and the boys give some deserved credit to the winners of the "Fans of the Doctor and Dude Show" basketball pool. And don't worry, they found time for some picks too!
Direct download: DoctorandDude4_4.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 11:18pm CDT
Wed, 28 March 2012
It's down to the Final Four teams left standing in March Madness. Who will cut down the nets in New Orleans? The Doctor and Dude make their predictions. Plus the Doc interviews Buckeye Bryan about his National League MLB predictions and the Dude talks more wrestling on the eve of his big Wrestlemania trip!
Direct download: DoctorandDude3_28.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 11:50pm CDT
Sun, 25 March 2012
Betting on professional wrestling? Yes it's a real thing, and the Doctor and Dude have you covered for all the action at Wrestlemania XXVIII. Plus, in a nod to his love of the Independent Circuit, the Dude makes up lines for Ring of Honor and Dragon's Gate events scheduled for the same weekend. Wrestling and gambling...together at last!
Direct download: wrestlemaniaspecial2012.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 10:37pm CDT
Sun, 25 March 2012
Since betting on Wrestlemania has become a real thing in the last couple of years, the Doctor and Dude are expanding the betting to include the whole weekend! The odds for Dragon Gate and Ring of Honor are a creation of the Dude, but the Wrestlemania odds are the final odds listed by 5Dimes as of Sunday, March 25th. Listen to our Wrestlemania podcast special to get the guys picks on where to lay your money!
Ring of Honor
Lance Storm (+130) vs "The Prodigy" Mike Bennett w/ Maria Kanellis (-120)
ROH World TV Championship Match
World TV Champion Jay Lethal (-130) defends against Kyle O'Reilly (+140)
"Wrestling's Worst Nightmare" Kevin Steen (-130) vs El Generico (+150)
The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) (+120) vs The All Night Express (Rhett Titus & Kenny King) (-110)
ROH World Tag Team Champions Jay & Mark Briscoe (-200) vs TMDK (Mikey Nicholls & Shane Haste) (+250)
ROH World Championship Triple Threat Match
ROH World Champion Davey Richards (-150) defends against "Die Hard" Eddie Edwards (+120) and Roderick Strong w/ Truth Martini (+120)
Stable Shootout Match - Street Fight
Main Event #1 - Open The United Gate Title Match
CIMA & Ricochet (-130) defend vs. Chuck Taylor & Rich Swann (+150)
Ring of Honor
The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) (+120) vs The All Night Express (Rhett Titus & Kenny King) (-110)
Kyle O'Reilly (-120) vs Adam Cole (+130)
Special Attraction : Chikara vs Ring of Honor
"Technical Lightning" TJ Perkins (-130) vs Chikara's Fire Ant (+140)
Blind Destiny - One of these matches will be for the ROH World Championship
ROH World TV Champion Jay Lethal (-110) vs Roderick Strong w/ Truth Martini (+120)
"Die Hard" Eddie Edwards (+120) vs "Wrestling's Worst Nightmare" Kevin Steen (-110)
Current ROH World Champion Davey Richards (-150) vs "Unbreakable" Michael Elgin (+160)
ROH World Tag Team Championship Match
The Briscoes (-140) defend against Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team (Charlie Haas & Shelton Benjamin) (+130)
PAC Invitational Aerial Elimination Match
Open The Freedom Gate Title Match
Johnny Gargano (C) (+120) vs. Masato Yoshino (-110)
The Dragon Gate Six Man Tag Team Match Tradition Continues!!!
CIMA, Ricochet & Masaaki Mochizki (-110)
Maria Menounos & Kelly Kelly (-195) vs. Beth Phoenix & Eve Torres (+210)
Team Teddy (+170) (Santino Marella (captain), R-Truth, Kofi Kingston, Zack Ryder, The Great Khali, TBA) vs. Team Johnny (-230) (David Otunga(captain), Mark Henry, Christian, Jack Swagger, Dolph Ziggler and TBA)
Randy Orton (-515) vs. Kane (+345)
Cody Rhodes (c) (-125) vs. Big Show (-115)
Daniel Bryan (c) (+180) vs. Sheamus (-260)
CM Punk (c) (+110) vs. Chris Jericho (-150)
Triple H (+500) vs. The Undertaker (-900)
The Rock (+220) vs. John Cena (-300)
Category:general -- posted at: 10:00pm CDT
Thu, 22 March 2012
Time to get back to my winning ways!
Wisconsin Badgers at Syracuse Orange -3.5
Louisville Cardinals at Michigan State Spartans -5
Xavier Musketeers at Baylor Bears -6 Ohio Bobcats at North Carolina Tar Heels -10.5
Xavier Musketeers at Baylor Bears -6
Ohio Bobcats at North Carolina Tar Heels -10.5
Category:general -- posted at: 2:01pm CDT
Wed, 21 March 2012
The NFL has gone crazy, and now the Doctor and Dude are here to put things back in perspective. How will Denver do with Peyton? What's the plan in New York? And is Seattle a playoff team? Plus, sweet sixteen basketball action takes center stage!
Direct download: DoctorandDude3_21.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 10:07pm CDT
Sat, 17 March 2012
After a crazy Friday of games, I'm over .500 for the tourney (16-15-1) and feeling good. Here are my picks for Sunday's 2nd round NCAA tourney action:
Creighton at North Carolina -8.5
Lehigh at Xavier -3.5
NC State at Georgetown -4.5
St. Louis at Michigan St -6
Cincinnati at Florida St -2.5
Ohio at South Florida -3
Norfolk St at Florida -14.5
Purdue at Kansas -8
Category:general -- posted at: 1:19pm CDT
Fri, 16 March 2012
Whether it's for good or ill, I like these picks!
Kansas State at Syracuse -5
Gonzaga at Ohio St. -7
Murray St at Marquette -4.5
Iowa St at Kentucky -10.5
Vanderbilt at Wisconsin +1
Colorado at Baylor -7.5
New Mexico at Louisville -2
VCU at Indiana -6
Category:general -- posted at: 10:49am CDT
Wed, 14 March 2012
NO. 1 Syracuse -20.5
NO. 8 Kansas State -5
NO. 5 Vanderbilt -5
NO. 4 Wisconsin -9
NO. 6 Cincinnati -2
NO. 3 Florida State -6.5
NO. 14 St. Bonaventure
NO. 7 Gonzaga -1
NO. 2 Ohio State -17.5
NO. 1 Michigan State -20
NO. 8 Memphis -3.5
NO. 5 New Mexico -4
NO. 4 Louisville -7.5
NO. 6 Murray State -4
NO. 3 Marquette -6
NO. 7 Florida -3.5
NO. 2 Missouri -21.5
NO. 1 Kentucky -25
NO. 8 Iowa State
NO. 5 Wichita State -6.5
NO. 4 Indiana -6
NO. 6 UNLV -5.5
NO. 3 Baylor -7.5
NO. 7 Notre Dame -2.5
NO. 2 Duke -12.5
NO. 1 North Carolina (Giving 20 or so)
NO. 8 Creighton +1.5
NO. 5 Temple
NO. 4 Michigan -6
NO. 6 San Diego State -2
NO. 3 Georgetown -4
NO. 7 Saint Mary’s -1.5
NO. 2 Kansas -14
Category:general -- posted at: 11:43pm CDT
Wed, 14 March 2012
The boys are going fast and furious as they zip through all of the opening round games in the 2012 NCAA Tournament. Who do they like against the spread? Download now and find out! Plus, Dude's Lines Around the World covers the spectrum from politics to reality television.
Direct download: DoctorandDude3_14.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 10:12pm CDT
Sun, 11 March 2012
Ready to win your office pool? The boys run through the whole bracket, dispensing picks and advice in advance of America's favorite gambling event.
Direct download: DoctorandDude2012NCAAtourney.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 10:46pm CDT
Wed, 7 March 2012
With March Madness going full steam, the boys cover more conference tournament action, football "bounties", and the future of the Colts without Peyton Manning. Plus, gambling on future pop stars with the Dude!
Direct download: DoctorandDude3_7mp3.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 10:10pm CDT
Wed, 29 February 2012
On a special Leap Year episode of the show, the boys break down several mid-major college basketball tournaments, debates the merits of major vs. mid-major bubble teams, and try to get off on the right foot for the second half of the NBA season. Plus, the Dude is not pleased with recent roster moves in Pittsburgh.
Direct download: DoctorandDude2_29.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 9:57pm CDT
Wed, 22 February 2012
Has it been a whole year already? The Doctor and Dude celebrate one year of podcasts by reflecting on the past, sending a few thank yous out to the D&D nation, and planning more wacky hijinks in the year to come. Oh, and they even found time to talk about some sports bets they like this week!
Direct download: DoctorandDude2_22.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 10:54pm CDT
Wed, 15 February 2012
The Dude is going it alone this week with some help from the old mailbag! Topics include the NBA, NCAA basketball, baseball, politics, and Nascar. It's a whole heaping helping of the Dude for you so check it out now.
Direct download: D_and_D_2_15_12.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 10:21pm CDT
Wed, 8 February 2012
The NFL season is done, but the boys still find time to talk about the Super Bowl, the Doc's hot week for prop bets, and potential champs in 2013. Plus, the Dude tries out his Dutch accent while talking about soccer in the Netherlands!
Direct download: DoctorandDude2_8.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 10:41pm CDT
Wed, 1 February 2012
It's all the Super Bowl action the boys can cram into one episode. Sides. Totals. Props. Gatorade. Madonna. The Doctor and Dude have this game covered from every angle!
Direct download: DoctorandDude2_1.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 11:30pm CDT
Wed, 25 January 2012
The boys take this week off from the NFL (no, the Pro Bowl doesn't count) to recount the exciting weekend that was and look at some early Super Bowl lines. Plus college basketball mid-majors, NBA, NHL, and the Dude handicaps the Royal Rumble.
Direct download: DoctorandDude1_25.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 10:42pm CDT
Wed, 18 January 2012
A precious spot in the Super Bowl is on the line as we hit Conference Championship weekend! The boys are riding a hot streak after an amazing weekend of picks, and they're determined to keep it going with NFL, NBA, and NHL picks aplenty. Plus, the Dude gives a little love to his fans south of the border!
Direct download: DoctorandDude1_18.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 10:34pm CDT
Wed, 11 January 2012
With a heavy heart, the Dude must try to soldier on after the Steelers loss. But if there's one thing that can improve his mood, it's going to the pay window with winning tickets! The boys break down the divisional round of the NFL playoffs, SEC basketball, and much more.
Direct download: DoctorandDude1_11.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 10:24pm CDT
Thu, 5 January 2012
Football fans rejoice! The boys look at first round NFL playoff action, give their picks for the BCS National Championship game, and predict who will be coaching the Bucs and Rams next year. Plus, the Doctor and Dude show some love for Big 12 basketball!
Direct download: DoctorandDude1_4.mp3
Category:2012 -- posted at: 1:07am CDT
Mon, 2 January 2012
The Dude Presents this week with a heavy heart as this is the last Dude Presents for a while. He breaks down the end of the season for every NFL team and takes a quick look at the great bowl action. Download this show now and savor the Dude presenting!
Direct download: D_and_D_1_2.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 10:33pm CDT